Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Spud

It's one of those rainy summer days that makes the only thing I want to think about curling up with a good book on the covered deck and smelling the ozone and wet grass, and NOT about how drunk I was last night. Unfortunately, people are apt to do things like get hungry after not eating for over 16 hours. After the past 4 months of not cooking, and rather, just eating out in Italy, laziness is a big factor in my kitchen M.O. Scrounging around in the kitchen came up with the following ingredients, which I whipped up into a creamy potato soup in under 10 minutes that accompanies some summer iced tea and "Julie & Julia" quite perfectly.

Potato "Bisque":
1 large baked potato, cubed. (Sucks if you don't already have one made as it'll take you another 10 minutes to make it; do it the easy way in the microwave).
Onion, chopped.
1 carrot, chopped.
Milk, about 1 cup to 1 & 1/2 cups.
2 tablespoons butter.
Salt
Pepper
Oregano (I put oregano in nearly EVERYTHING I make. Chances are, if I made it, and you're eating it-- oregano.)
Some sort of sharp cheese, cubed. (I used Consider Bardwell Farm's Pawlet, a semi-sharp yellow cow's cheese with a nutty taste and creamy yet still block-formed texture.)
Since I was out of beer (big surprise there, not,)...a splash of vodka. You've heard of people who say, "I love cooking with (fill in the alcohol here). Sometimes I even put it in the food"? Hello. That person is me. I know, I know, it sounds so weird, but it compliments and cuts through the melted cheese and starchy potato texture so well. Plus, a little hair of the dog never hurt anyone; rather, it may help.

In a small pot over a low flame, melt your butter, and, as it's melting, add your chopped carrot and onion. Let sauté in the butter until the onion is cooked through and the carrot is starting to get soft. Add your potato cubes, milk, salt, pepper, oregano, and any other spices you so choose. Let the soup base (milk and all your other crap) start to thicken with the potato starch, and add your cheese, stirring it in well. Let sit for about another 2 minutes over low flame, then remove from heat, add splash of vodka (or beer, or white wine,) and pour soup into a blender or a
Cuisinart. (If you're a college student, you better have a blender. If you don't, go buy a cheap one at Kmart. Think of all the frozen, blended, savory, and alcoholic possibilities!) Blend until texture is creamy and slightly "puffy," like a bisque. Don't worry if your blender appears to be smoking-- it's steam condensing inside from the hot food. This soup will transition well to any season, especially in the colder ones.

Enjoy with a complimentary beverage-- iced tea,
a beer, or even a vodka on the rocks. Hey, it's past noon. I suggest staying out of the rain and snoozing-- the MonsterCat has the right idea. I'm so glad I'm not moving in today.

XOXO

(Just for reference, those two suitcases he is sprawled in front of are over three feet long. He's longer by another good 6 inches. Now imagine that beast being your living alarm clock in the morning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment